Since the machine vision system can quickly obtain a large amount of information, it is easy to automatically process, and it is also easy to integrate with design information and processing control information. Therefore, in modern automated production processes, people use machine vision systems to monitor working conditions, inspect finished products or for quality control.
The feature of machine vision inspection is to improve the flexibility and automation of production. In some dangerous working environments that are not suitable for manual operations or occasions where manual vision is difficult to meet the requirements, machine vision is often used to replace manual vision; machine vision inspection methods can greatly improve production efficiency and production automation.
There are five main reasons for using machine vision systems in industrial automation control:
1. The accuracy of the machine vision system, due to the physical limitations of the human eye, the machine has obvious advantages in accuracy. Even if the human eye relies on a magnifying glass or microscope to inspect the product, the machine will still be more accurate because its accuracy can reach one thousandth of an inch.
2. With the repeatability of the machine vision system, the machine can complete the inspection work one by one in the same way without feeling tired. In contrast, every time the human eye detects a product, there will be a slight difference, even if the product is exactly the same.
3. With the speed of the machine vision system, the machine can detect products faster. Especially when detecting high-speed moving objects, such as a production line, the machine can improve production efficiency.
4. The objectivity of the machine vision system. There is a fatal flaw in the human eye detection, which is the subjectivity brought by emotions. The detection results will change with the mood of the workers. However, the machine has no emotions, so the results are reliable.
5. The cost of the machine vision system. Since the machine is faster than the human, an automatic inspection machine can take on the tasks of several people. Moreover, the machine does not need to stop, will not get sick, and can work continuously, so it can greatly improve production efficiency.